CIUT is a listener-supported radio station operated by the staff and volunteers of our student society of the University of Toronto. As a diverse and inclusive non-profit alternative to mainstream media, we provide community access to the airwaves and offer programming that reflects the diverse elements of the communities we serve.
CIUT has one of the strongest broadcast signals in the GTA, which is the biggest radio market in the country. We currently reach listeners from Barrie to Buffalo and Kitchener to Cobourg. Our mission is to create and broadcast diverse and relevant programming that attracts a growing audience of listeners and donors who passionately support the station and ensure its long-term sustainability.
We believe that CIUT — with its community roots, diverse voices and a potential reach of eight million listeners — has an opportunity to be a transformative mixed-media source of inspiration to local and national audiences. We recognize the potential to be even more relevant and are looking for a leader who can work with the Board, Staff, Volunteers and Partners to achieve this shared goal.
CIUT is seeking a visionary leader who can provide overall strategic and operational leadership for the organization and realize growth opportunities to enhance CIUT’s radio and digital media offerings to the benefit of its community audience. As the Station Manager, you are responsible for managing all business operations of the University of Toronto Community Radio Inc. You will lead and mentor a small team of employees and a large volunteer base in the day-to-day operation of the station and in the responsible use of the station’s resources. You will act as a liaison with external partners, advertisers, funders and regulators, and you will develop and lead the execution of the organization’s strategic plan according to your mandate from the Board of Directors.
· Optimizing the station’s current operations while creating the conditions for strong performance over the long-term.
· Ensuring CIUT-FM’s mandate and policies, as they are set by the Board of Directors, are effectively implemented.
· Proposing strategic objectives to the Board; building and executing objectives related to branding, sales and marketing, fundraising, and audience development.
· Working with the accounting staff to manage the budget of approximately $650,000, anticipating expenses, increasing revenues, and securing grants, sponsorship and other funding.
· Hiring, training and evaluating employees.
· Communicating effectively with staff and volunteers to cultivate a welcoming and inclusive work environment.
· Collaborating with, supporting, strengthening, evaluating, and inspiring staff and volunteers in their development and delivery of programming and their pursuit of the achievement of station goals.
· Acting as liaison with the Canadian Radio and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) and Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED), preparing license renewals, and overseeing the station’s compliance with requirements under provincial and/or federal legislation.
· Leading relations with the University of Toronto and the broader community to recruit a diverse pool of talented and motivated volunteers, increase fundraising revenue, and grow the station’s audience.
· Undertaking other duties as required.
OUR RECRUITMENT PRACTICES
CIUT is committed to:
· Welcoming, valuing and promoting diversity among staff, students and with community organizations that serve diverse groups.
· Actively recruiting diverse individuals for internships, co-ops, volunteer positions and professional-level experience.
· Cultivating a respectful, inclusive and accessible working and learning environment.
· Striving to ensure that the workplace, including our policies, procedures and practices, are free of deliberate or unintentional systemic barriers so that no one is disadvantaged.
· Developing a greater capacity to understand issues of power and privilege, and to ensure they are recognized and addressed.
· Working effectively in different cultural contexts to serve the needs of a diverse community and listening audience.
· Continuing to recognize, support, and build upon such initiatives as Pride, Black History Month, National Indigenous Peoples Day, International Francophonie Day, and more.
We implement strategies, policies and practices inspired by this vision. We will continue to improve, through an ongoing process of evaluation and change, and make every effort to identify and remove barriers to inclusion.
A competitive compensation package will be offered, complete with salary and benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
We invite candidates to apply by email with your cover letter and résumé no later than January 12th, 2022. Send to Searchlight Partners: CIUT@searchlightpartnersgroup.com
The University of Toronto Community Radio Inc. values diversity and inclusion. We recognize that diversity within our volunteer body, staff, management team, and board of directors contributes greatly to our knowledge and understanding of the University of Toronto’s tri-campus student body, along with the communities within our broadcast area. This knowledge enables us to more effectively deliver content and services that will help us attract, grow, and engage our audiences.
We wish to acknowledge this land on which the University of Toronto operates. For thousands of years it has been the traditional land of the Huron-Wendat, the Seneca, and the Mississaugas of the Credit. Today, this meeting place is still the home to many Indigenous people from across Turtle Island and we are grateful to have the opportunity to work on this land.
We welcome everyone to apply for our roles, and encourage applications from Black and Indigenous people, people of colour, trans and non-binary people and disabled people. We are committed to ensuring accessible services and communications to disabled individuals. Once an applicant has been selected for an interview, requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants should make their accommodation needs known when contacted.
We thank applicants for their interest, however, only those advancing in the process will be contacted