Marketing and Communications Officer
Reporting to the Manager, Marketing and Communications, this position is responsible for providing marketing and communications support to the College, program and service areas. This position works closely with internal teams in Marketing and Communications, various academic departments and/or service areas to plan and execute marketing strategies, tactics and materials in support of recruitment and communication goals
1. Develops, executes, measures and reports on annual marketing communications plans and projects in support of the College’s recruitment and communication efforts. Manages project timelines, key milestones/deadlines, client and/or external vendor communications and project budgets.
2. Drafts, edits and proofs copy and content for marketing collateral, websites, social media, publications, presentations, video scripts, newsletters, news releases and other written communications. Adapts materials for different target audiences and media. Collaborates with Content Strategist and Social Media Coordinator on projects as needed.
3. Works closely with Art Director and Graphic Designers to produce a variety of creative assets and marketing collaterals. Writes creative briefs, assigns production tasks to resources, participates in feedback/revision process and arranges distribution. Ensures materials meet quality standards and are produced in accordance with best practices and established brand guidelines.
4. Plans and coordinates photo and video shoot logistics related to the development of marketing materials.
5. Assists with strategic internal and external communications and collaborates with senior personnel and other stakeholders on sensitive or emerging issues.
6. Coordinates media buying, solicits estimates and discounts and determines appropriate placement of ads, or assists with creative/media agency management of these tasks. Maintains advertising and client records, and administers Procurement/invoicing procedures and records for internal clients.
7. Proactively fosters positive relationships with media through strong outreach and other means to encourage positive media coverage of VCC events, programs, expertise and success. Addresses media inquiries as required.
8. Oversees the College’s internal communications vehicles and production, including materials, e-newsletters and online content.
9. Provides guidance to graphic designers.
10. Ensures compliance with copyright, FOIPOP and CASL regulations.
11. Plans and coordinates events, such as contacting suppliers, arranging catering, coordinating volunteers, and developing marketing collaterals/materials. Participates in and assists other College personnel as needed with events, such as convocation, open houses, government relations, awards ceremonies and others.
12. Performs other related duties as required.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in business/marketing, communications/public relations, journalism or related field and over 4 years’ related experience in a marketing or communications role, or an equivalent combination of training and/or experience may be substituted for the required qualifications.
Skills and Abilities
Good customer service and conflict resolution skills and the ability to handle potentially difficult situations with tact and diplomacy. Ability to function professionally and pleasantly during periods of high stress.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Proven ability to build positive relationships using strong interpersonal skills.
Demonstrated ability to work both independently with a minimum of supervision and collaboratively as a team member.
Attention to detail.
Creative and resourceful self-starter with sound judgement.
Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage several time-sensitive projects at any given time.
Successful track record in initiating, managing and leading diverse departmental and project teams, meetings, budgets, production and outcomes targets, and working with tight deadlines and multiple stakeholders.
Knowledge of and experience with both traditional and digital marketing communications strategies and tactics.
Experience with Canadian Press (CP) Style an asset.
Knowledge of digital marketing tools including social platforms, Google Analytics, Google Adwords and web content management systems.
Advanced knowledge of MS Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) an asset.
Excellent writing, editing and visual communications skills.
Salary Range - Prorated based on FTE
PAYGRADE 28: $2,186.05 – $2,567.64 bi-weekly.
Posting Detail Information
Support Staff (CUPE)
Type of Position
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
Primary Location - This position may require you to work at all VCC locations.
Is this posting only for internal applicants?
Desired Start Date - May be subject to change
Position End Date - For Temporary Positions
Vacation Blackout Dates
Number of Hours per Week
Normally, Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:15 pm. However, hours may vary according to the needs of the Department.
Eligible for Fortnight
Special Instructions to Applicant
Vancouver Community College is committed to maintaining a work force that represents the diverse community we serve and we encourage all qualified applicants.
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Is this a pooled posting?