Library Systems/Web Specialist
Permanent, full-time position – Toronto, ON
Are you experienced in applications support and known for keeping current with evolving technologies and system applications? Do you combine analytical, technical diagnostic and problem-solving skills with a customer service focus? If so, here’s a great opportunity to play a key role in teaching and learning as part of the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) Leadership, Learning and School Improvement team.
Reporting to the Unit Coordinator, Library Teaching Resources, you’ll provide support in planning, developing and maintaining web-based information systems and strategy in support of Library and Learning Resources initiatives. These include the TDSB Virtual Library, the Library Catalogue Resource Manager, internal and external web information, and other future web-based initiatives by the department.
As a Library Systems/Web Specialist, you will:
- Respond to front-line support questions as they relate to the Library Catalogue Resource Manager;
- Oversee the installation of computer software applications;
- Maintain the Teaching Resources scheduling system;
- Set up users and access privileges for TDSB staff on the library booking system and library applications;
- Troubleshoot more complex queries and present a summary of findings;
- Implement and maintain backup systems;
- Liaise with IT Technical Services network and server support teams to ensure ongoing consistent and stable services to the TDSB community;
- Respond to incoming calls from schools that are having a problem and resolves these issues in a timely manner;
- Prepare documentation pertaining to workflow and operational procedures;
- Develop, update, and maintain web sites for Library and Learning Resources (Professional Library, Library Teaching Resources, Curriculum Materials Distribution, Library Technical Services) ensuring Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) compliance;
- Coordinate web development projects in Library Learning Resources – from the development stage through implementation and ongoing support;
- Work with school library-based web development teams to support and enable their web page development;
- Complete graphic design, layout, and desktop publishing production of various print and electronic publications intended for internal and external use (Professional Library Materials, Library Media Materials, Curriculum Resource Documents, Curriculum Materials for Students);
- Research, evaluate and recommend computer graphics and other software and hardware tools;
- Develop procedures and provide assistance to Library Teaching Resources staff and teachers for in-service and training;
- Oversee, and assist in, the training of TDSB staff on the web-based booking system;
- Provide expert advice to all department staff and teacher-librarians, as required;
- Work with Cataloguing and Reference Technicians on development and maintenance of databases;
- Remain current with evolving technologies and systems applications by researching new and emerging technologies, attending professional development and training, etc.;
- Consult and liaise with other Library Teaching Resources Booking system user groups outside of TDSB;
- Participate in meetings of the Library Teaching Resources Unit, and the Library and Learning Resources management team; and
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Wage rate: $35.09 per hour
This CUPE Local 4400 permanent, full-time position, located at 3 Tippett Road (wheelchair accessible), requires some travel to worksites throughout the TDSB.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, by 4:30 p.m., November 24, 2020, quoting competition #CUPE C-20-0170UE in the subject line, to:
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Applications will not be acknowledged in writing.
We strive to meet the accommodation needs of persons with disabilities. Applicants are encouraged to make their needs for accommodation known in advance during the application process.
We are an equal opportunity employer and adhere to fair employment practices.