A little bit about us:
Launched in 1999 as the first national Indigenous broadcaster in the world, APTN creates a window into the remarkably diverse mosaic of Indigenous Peoples. As a respected non-profit, charitable broadcaster and the only one of its kind in North America, we share our stories of authenticity, while connecting with our audience through genuine, inspiring, and engaging entertainment.
Here’s what we can offer you:
As a Top 100 employer in Canada, taking care of our people is our priority. In addition to our fun, flexible team environment our total rewards package includes: comprehensive company paid health and dental coverage, an employer matched - Defined Contribution pension plan and an employee/family assistance plan. Other highlights include a 35 hour work week as well as training & development assistance, which is highly encouraged. It is important to us, that we support you and your success during your time with us. That’s why our total rewards are designed to help you achieve overall balance personally and professionally, both now and into your future.
Highlights of this opportunity:
Nation to Nation is our political show based in Ottawa under the arbour of APTN National News and Current Affairs. Every Thursday evening we follow the political bouncing ball, keeping an eye on what the government is up to and how it affects First Nations, Métis and Inuit across the country. As host and co-producer of N2N, you will seek out the movers and shakers of policy in Canada and those who are trying to make change. Then challenge yourself to produce and present dynamic news content that is relevant and important to our audience with the aim of growing the number of people who tune in and keep coming back for more. If this sounds exciting, then this may be the opportunity for you!
• Represent APTN by being the face our viewers recognize, attend special events, interview guests celebrities and politicians;
• Join an award winning News and Current Affairs team, that provides coverage of the issues facing Indigenous communities;
• Examine, investigate and report on stories that impact relationships between First Nations, Métis, Inuit and Canada;
• Share your vision on current and emerging issues and be part of the voice that shares the “story within a story”;
• Deliver on camera presentation of News and Current affairs programs;
• Host/Produce APTN’s weekly political show, Nation to Nation;
• Investigate and report stories from Parliament Hill and Indigenous communities;
• Maximize the use of social media and select/edit videos into rough cuts for broadcasting, write segments, on-camera scripts, copy, VOs.
Your accomplishments and experience include:
• A diploma or certificate in a related discipline and proven relatable experience;
• Strong demonstrated experience in broadcast journalism;
• A sensitivity and understanding of Indigenous culture and the ability to articulate issues relevant to Indigenous communities;
• Exceptional verbal communication skills, coupled with the ability to share complex ideas;
• A valid driver’s license and clear driver’s abstract.
Your new opportunity awaits; come and see what makes us one of Canada’s top employers!
Please apply before Friday, June 4, 2021.
As an Indigenous employer we encourage First Nations, Inuit and Métis applicants to apply.
Please note: During the current COVID-19 environment all interviews will be held via MS Teams or teleconference.