Title Exhibition Designer
Internal Job ID 1013599 RPT(1)
Employee Group OPSEU
Number of Positions 1
Status Regular Part-Time
Reports to Associate Director, Exhibitions
Division Exhibitions & Collections
Salary Range $31.64 - $39.54 per hour
Hours/Days of Work Up to 24 hours per week
Start Date 12/9/2019
External Posting EXHIBITION DESIGNER
Regular Part-Time (Up to 24 hours per week)
ART + AUDIENCE + LEARNING
Does the thought of delivering exhibition projects at one of the largest art museums in North America excite you? Do you feel passionately about working with an award-winning team of exhibition content specialists to design engaging art experiences for all to enjoy?
With more than 1 million visitors in 2017/18 and close to 95,000 works of art in its collection, the Art Gallery of Ontario (“AGO”) continues to increase its attendance by deepening relationships with existing members and visitors, attracting new and diverse audiences, presenting a consistent brand across all elements of business, and flexibly responding to the changing environment. With an operating budget of over $60 million, over 600 employees, and 400 volunteers, the AGO continues to build a high-performance culture as an employer-of-choice, with strong staff and volunteer satisfaction and engagement aligned to the AGO’s compelling mission, vision and values.
As the AGO undertakes a bold 10-year vision, we are currently searching for a creative, collaborative, highly organized and solution-oriented Exhibition Designer to create appropriate and aesthetic designs for exhibitions, collection installation and other related building projects in partnership with the other members of the Exhibition Content Team. The successful candidate will create design concepts, construction drawings, and installation plans for art and furnishings in temporary exhibitions and permanent collection installations. He/She/They will provide detailed drawings of all installation components including pedestals, cases, built-in art and media displays, custom lighting, seating and interpretative materials. The Exhibition Designer will also collaborate with colleagues in Curatorial, Interpretation, Conservation, Protection Services and other departments to develop solutions to design challenges.
Does this sound like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for? If you have the following qualifications, we’d love to hear from you!
• Diploma or degree in field of design, fine arts, architecture or a related discipline
• Two to three years’ experience in exhibition design and installation of art
• Knowledge of and expertise in industrial design, interior design or interior architecture
• Knowledge of graphic design
• Knowledge of conservation principles
• Thorough knowledge of applicable computer software programs, such as VectorWorks, CAD, Photoshop, Illustrator and Sketch-Up
• Excellent visual communication skills; skill in drawing and reading scale drawings
• Skills and ability to conceptualize ideas, represent, and communicate concepts effectively through design and translate them into practice
• Interpersonal and relationship building skills in order to interact well with internal/ external stakeholders and maintain effective linkages with all levels of contacts across the AGO
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Familiarity with the use of industrial woodworking equipment as well as art gallery appropriate materials and fabrication techniques
• Good interpersonal skills
What are the benefits and highlights of working at the AGO?
• Competitive salary and benefits
• Receive Discounts from the Provincial/City Reciprocal Agreements (Free admission to museums, the CN Tower & discounts off amusement parks, city attractions, hotels, wine tours, Second City, the Ontario Science Centre, and much more!)
• Discounts to Goodlife Fitness
• Free tickets to every major exhibit at AGO
Interested? Apply now by visiting our website at https://ago.ca/jobs-and-volunteering.
Art is at the centre of everything we do.
The AGO is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act & the AGO’s Recruitment & Selection Policy for Staff, a request for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process.
External Application Deadline 11/22/2019