Position Title:Communications Specialist
Employment Type:Temporary Full Time
Additional Details:This posiiton is for Maternity Leave coverage
City, Province, Country:Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Number Of Positions:1
Date Posted:May 15, 2020
Closing Date:May 27, 2020
Reports To:Manager, Communications
Salary:$35.64 - $41.95/Hour
Department / Program:Communications
Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health is a community-centered agency dedicated to preventing disease, promoting the well-being of individuals, and protecting the health of the residents of Wellington County, Dufferin County and the City of Guelph. Our team works to achieve this each and every day by offering evidence-based health information, programs and services. Our vision is that everyone has the opportunity for health and well-being.
Joining our team will involve working with passionate people and performing meaningful work that will support a healthier community for over 290,000 area residents. We believe it’s important to promote health in our own workplace, because in order to be our best, we have to feel our best. At Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph Public Health our goal is to help maintain not only the physical, but the emotional, financial and social health and well-being of our team. Our employees enjoy a competitive compensation package, professional training and development opportunities and a healthy work-life balance.
This position provides support to corporate communications objectives related to social media content, public relations, community relations, resource development, media relations, internal communications and communications strategies. Provides expertise and direction to staff and management on risk communications and emerging issues. Supports management in the development, implementation and evaluation of communications plans and strategies to address communications needs for both external and internal audiences.
Supports the writing, design, implementation and evaluation of communications platforms including online and print for external and internal audiences that are consistent with the mission, values and goals of Public Health. Will participate in the assessment and planning of Agency-wide and program specific communications strategies to both internal and external audiences. Will participate in implementing communications campaigns in collaboration with staff and the other CS and will add new media expertise.
Develop traditional media and online content:
• Produces in collaboration with staff and management content using excellent writing and editing skills for all communications platforms from traditional print to online and social media.
• Works with program staff, communications team colleagues to ensure that content is accurate and formatting and editing is consistent with the Agency's style guide and follows plain language guidelines.
Edit and write materials for internal and external audiences (including print, website and intranet). Target the message to specific audiences based on assessment and evaluation.
• Conducts professional media relations by providing timely and newsworthy material, being a media contact as assigned, and providing strategic and creative media relations.
• Supports the development, marketing and evaluation of communications campaigns while providing communications expertise to Public Health and community coalitions and partner agencies.
• Integrates communications strategies across the agency’s communications platforms including website, e-newsletters, social media and other traditional communications methods.
• Develop scripts, story lines for video production and execute video production for communication campaigns.
• Meet with program staff to identify needs of the target population and public health.
• Consult with programs on strategies to reach target groups through all communications platforms including new media and social media platforms.
• Create deliver and evaluate internal communications plans that support the agency’s vision, mission and goals.
Hours of Work:
Regular office hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
June 8, 2020