With more than 60 years of experience, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is one of 36 Conservation Authorities in Ontario, created to safeguard and enhance the health and well-being of watershed communities through the protection and restoration of the natural environment and the ecological services the environment provides.
TRCA works to protect the integrity and health of the rivers and creeks in the jurisdiction, develop a system of green and natural spaces that sustains local ecosystems, and advance sustainable practices that improve people’s lives within our growing region.
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Communications, Marketing and Events, the Communications and Media Relations Specialist will champion high-quality, well-written, on-brand, targeted, timely, and effective internal and external organizational communications. The Specialist plays a key role in building awareness, understanding and advocacy for TRCA and its programs; engaging key stakeholders; and acquiring and retaining TRCA customers and clients by encouraging media exposure of TRCA, its activities and services in support of TRCA’s strategic priorities.
Collaborating effectively with subject-matter experts both internal and external to TRCA, the Specialist ensures strategic communications align with TRCA’s Strategic Plan, organizational priorities, vision, mission and core values. Collaborating with the CEO’s Office, Senior Leadership Team, business units throughout the organization, and external stakeholders, the Specialist prioritizes, plans and executes communications and media relations to generate optimal media coverage/exposure for TRCA. The position serves as the primary point of contact for all media inquiries ensuring that TRCA responds effectively; builds relationships with key editors, journalists and bloggers; and prepares and distributes messages and materials for media use. This position is also responsible for identifying issues, trends and current events to seize opportunities for enhanced media coverage/exposure for TRCA.
In alignment with the TRCA communications strategy, the Specialist develops and executes tactical communications plans for various platforms for internal and external audiences, ensuring messaging is consistent, accurate and aligned to TRCA’s brand. The Specialist works collaboratively with internal TRCA Divisions serving as a strategic partner and liaison for end-to-end strategic communications support, efforts and strategies.
- Research and write strategic communications on behalf of the CEO and Senior Leadership Team as required, adjusting tone and style of writing for different audiences, while effectively conveying organizational messaging and brand.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of TRCA’s overall strategic communications plan, including supporting outreach strategies, specific projects, events and activities.
- Actively create content on various organizational activities to keep employees up to date, engaged and appraised of key information, by sourcing information from various organizational stakeholders.
- Provide day-to-day communications content and media relations support for teams throughout TRCA.
- Ensure effective distribution of media materials through a variety of channels including automated and manual direct distribution to media, web posting, and dissemination via social media.
- Prepare and help implement key media relations policies and protocols including corporate crisis communications plans.
- Create and execute ongoing relationship management strategies TRCA’s key stakeholders.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to devise and implement communications programs.
- Identify appropriate spokespeople for media interviews, craft key messaging and responses and make sure spokespeople across the organization are effectively prepared for interviews, including training as required.
- Monitor the impact of internal and external communications by identifying appropriate success metrics and analyzing trends and patterns in analytics reports.