CONTRIBUTING TO THE CMPA
The Communications department provides strategic advice, guides overall messaging and positioning, and provides marketing, creative writing, editing, translation and graphic design services. The department also monitors changes in the physician and healthcare environments, proactively identifies risks and emerging issues and works to ensure that CMPA messages resonate with our members. In addition, the Communications department is integral in driving and supporting change within the Association.
Reporting to the Manager, Strategic Communications, the Communications Advisor contributes to the development and implementation of a broad range of internal and external communication initiatives – including the development of feature articles for the CMPA’s quarterly magazine, Perspective. The Communications Advisor is a seasoned writer with proven knowledge and experience developing content for both print and digital channels (e.g. print publications, web content, social media content). The incumbent will translate complex information into understandable narratives, and is able to research and write feature articles, Qs and As, fact sheets, backgrounders, news releases, video scripts, speeches and more.
To continue to meet the evolving needs of its members, the CMPA is exploring ways in which we can modernize our communications to members. This role will support modernization activities by bringing a strategic mindset and a fluid, adaptive and innovative approach. The Communications Advisor is open to evolving CMPA’s communications and identifies opportunities for and supports enhancements to activities and vehicles, such as shifting CMPA’s flagship print publication to a digital model.
- Writes clear, consistent and captivating content in a variety of formats for a variety of purposes and platforms for internal and external stakeholder audiences – including articles for the CMPA Perspective, content for CMPA’s website, electronic newsletter, social media channels, and bylined articles and Op Eds for inclusion in medical trade publications and traditional media outlets, etc.
- Develops new content through research and interviews, establishing relationships with subject matter experts within CMPA.
- Researches appropriate external sources of information, references the material, and formats references in accordance with accepted style conventions.
- Provides editorial support, as needed, including editing (proofreading, copy editing, stylistic editing, substantive editing) to produce clear, meaningful, and relevant content.
- Recommends the most appropriate approach to address the communications requirements of internal and external audiences and assists in the implementation of these strategies.
- Supports enhancements to CMPA’s communications channels (e.g. modernization of Perspective) to promote the uptake of CMPA safe medical care information.
- Working with Communication colleagues, supports the development of a fluid and adaptive content management approach to ensure CMPA’s online materials are regularly reviewed and revised, as needed.
- Adapts print content to an online format and understands the unique requirements of each format.
- Measures effectiveness of communications initiatives, including article uptake, and refines strategies as required.
- Supports the Editorial Review Panel (the editorial body for Perspective magazine) as required.
- Responds to member facing inquiries about Perspective articles
- Supports a fluid and adaptive approach to creating an editorial calendar.
- Participates in corporate or departmental projects as required.