Canada's National Observer is an award-winning daily news site that publishes in-depth and investigative journalism, data journalism, and analysis on climate change and related social issues, culture and technology. We also produce Canada's top podcast about climate solutions, Race Against Climate Change.
For more than a decade, CNO has led the digital re-invention of Canadian media, driven the national conversation on energy and climate change, and made history as the first all-digital publication to win a National Newspaper Award and a Michener Award citation. Some of Canada's most talented reporters write for CNO and others have cut their teeth in our cross-country newsroom.
In 2019 CNO launched Interviews with Linda Solomon Wood, a real-time conversation series featuring CNO's Editor-in-Chief engaging with fascinating people on the big stories happening in our world. Guests to date include Noam Chomsky, David Suzuki, Bill McKibbon, Catherine McKenna, Elizabeth May and many more.
Now we are seeking a Producer to manage all aspects of the series and help it evolve.
- Prepare research packages with suggested question line for host - research packs include guest bios, news stories, and relevant background notes for the conversation
- Pre-interview and book guests for live Zoom events and podcasts
- Set up Zoom program: create event links, coordinate with all panelists, do tech checks
- Maintain WordPress website with event content and stories
- Video edit recorded interviews for distribution (website, social media, newsletter)
- Oversee marketing of events in collaboration with graphic designers and writers
- Manage all aspects of event production from start to end, including managing all comms requirements (wrangle/produce copy for website, socials, newsletter)
- Other tasks as required
More about CNO
We offer competitive employment packages including the opportunity to work with a dream team of journalists, editors, photographers, fact-checkers, designers and tech people, excellent group health and dental benefits, wonderful travel opportunities, flexible hours, and competitive salary and vacation time. Not only that, you get to focus on the defining issues of our time, not just sometimes, but every day. Meaningful work, a fun and creative team, and many opportunities to grow professionally and personally, are characteristic of CNO where your work will reach millions of Canadians–– 7 million read articles on CNO in the last year alone.
Our team of managing editors are deeply experienced with running newsrooms and bringing out the best in the work of reporters and writers. Our paying subscribers support much of our reporting. They include Canada's most engaged citizens, the federal government, school boards, civil society groups, provincial governments, universities and foundations.
If you want to make a difference, Canada's National Observer is the place.
Canada's National Observer is part of the Canadian Media Guild.
To apply, please submit a résumé and cover letter through our online application portal. Applications without well-considered cover letters will not be reviewed.
Your cover letter should address:
- Why Canada's National Observer?
- Your experience and major accomplishments as a Chase Producer/Researcher
Thank you for your interest in working for Canada's National Observer.